Friday, November 30, 2012

Alexander Wang to Balenciaga! Horror or optimism?


So, I know most of you fashion fiends have already heard the news.. American Designer Alexander Wang is heading to the fashion house of Balenciaga as creative Director after Ghesquière's exit today. I think this is exciting news. Wang is definitely in my top 5 for favorite designers and quite possibly my favorite American designer. Not to mention this is a huge honor/ milestone for the American Designer circuit..

Wang has huge mass market appeal, as opposed to Balenciaga's couture/ luxury branding.  As far as a market strategy goes.. I think it was pretty genius.  In my opinion, if anyone can build upon the beauty of Ghesquière's revival, Wang can do it with youthful, consumer-friendly zeal. My only reservations are that his new direction/vision will not be perceived well at the fashion house, or that this venture will affect his own brand (s). However, I have the utmost faith in him as a designer and really do not believe he would let Balenciaga fall.

I suppose one reason I am so optimistic is that I have always connected more with the realness and rawness of Wang. Not that I don't admire the beauty of Balenciaga, I very much do.

Most of the reading I have done on the subject has been mixed between horror and optimism.. not much middle ground. But I am curious to what you all think? Do you think that Wang will bring the new appeal that Balenciaga seems to desire? Is he too "New York" for Paris? Do you think his vision will negatively offset the luxury that Ghesquière so successfully built? Since Ghesquière was pretty much.. amazing.



tumblr image

But so is this guy.

7 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I am very nervous for this appointment. However, I won't count Mr. Wang out just yet. I think he has what it takes.. I am just anxious to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know if it is a good choice of Alexander...he is so unique in his designs and Im a bit afraid that they are not able to handle his designs..

    My personal style and male fashion blog: :)

    www.look-scout.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a very valid point Martin. That is something that I was worried about too when I said I don't know if they will respect his visions. I do have faith in him though, I think he will make it work!

      Delete
  3. love him - he's perfect for Balenciaga in my opinion!

    http://franchemeetsfashion.blogspot.cz/

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be cool to see what he does with it. I would love to see some kind of crazy mashup of Ghesquière/the house's baroque complexity and Wang's minimalist approach. What that would look like, I have no idea :)

    I'm kind of obsessed with Alexander Wang's post-runway runs. They seem to represent the core of his design philosophy: un-self-conscious, unironic, authentic, self-expressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perfect way to put it. It will be interesting to see what Wang does with Nicolas' complexity that he created at Balenciaga .. I think he will tear down a lot of that complexity and enhance the minimalism quality of Balenciaga, and focus on amazing design principles.

      Delete
  5. But the real question: will Alexander Wang do a different run after Balenciaga shows???


    http://minimalmick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete